Tuesday 27 July 2010

208: Crimson Ice Cup

Another cup & liquid photo, but this time the cup is made of ice and filled with a red food colouring solution.
I tried to get a similar effect to what I shot before (the tea glass,) but I wanted the thick ice walls here to show up quite white.
The problem was that the flash light (directed up from underneath as before) was filtered completely red by the liquid, and painted the whole cup red. I tried a different shot here, using the flash directly on the side of the ice from the right.
The result is better this way, but next time I would want to use two flashes - one from beneath, and another from the side.

Settings: f/8, 1/4, ISO 100, DA 18-55 (45mm), 1/4 flash, black foam & cloth backdrop, tripod. Some slight colour adjustments and retouching.

No comments: