Thursday 11 March 2010

070: Shrink-Minted

Some polo mints are placed on a rubber mouse mat inside a thin freezer bag; this bag is then tied around a drinking straw at the opening with adhesive tape. I make sure the flash reflectors and other cards are in place, turn off my desk lamp, stop the lens down, take the straw in my mouth and press the shutter button. While the two-second timer runs, I place a white card on the opposite side to the foil flash reflector (in this case in front of my face) and suck hard on the straw. The shutter fires and I'm left with this picture.

Settings: f/16, 1/180, ISO 200, 50mm, 19mm extension, 1/4 flash, foil, white & black cards.
Curiously, there's an impression of curvilinear distorsion; but I'm sure it's just due to the placement of the mints. I'm not very happy with the top corners either. I think they needed more crinklyness. But I'm sure I can make a better, similar picture some other time; I like this unusually shrink-wrapped objects theme.

No comments: