Thursday 25 March 2010

084: Red Pegs

This image was another "Oh look it's nearly midnight" shots where I quickly wrack my brain for visual inspiration before the next day begins.
Taking a shot like this with a digital camera is nearly always problematic, so my advice is to shoot RAW, ask questions later. Sure, the colours here are quite heavily post-processed, but they don't exactly look unnatural. The camera JPEG of this was quite an eyeball-burner, and that was with neutral settings. Red mush is how I would describe the original image, and tweaking the RAW really can reveal the "truth" in an image, despite a few white lies.
The Pentax K10D doesn't impress much with its noise levels, but it's quite a performer for dynamic range. I am constantly impressed by how much luma and chroma detail I can push and pull around in a RAW image.

All in all, a hurried photo, but a worthwhile image. The metal spring adds a detail that really pops out, and lends a clue to an otherwise rather cryptic composition.

Settings: f/8, 1/180, ISO 100, 1/4 flash, glass plate, foil, white boards.

No comments: