Saturday 8 May 2010

128: Red Hairberries

Today I've also been taking some test shots with an old Tamron SP lens on my D30; with an M42 adaptall and M42-EF adapter.
I'm delighted to see that the exposure was spot-on in nearly all the shots I took - a better show than my K10D, which is a good six years newer. I know that the oft-cited PentaxUnderexposure(TM) can be better for preserving highlight details, but I don't always want to post-process everything I shoot. I am getting to prefer the Canon's more consistent exposure, even if it blows the highlights sometimes. It's just more reliable!
I would just shoot RAW if I wanted to rework problematic exposures, although I'm not so sure that the D30 has as good dynamic range in the highlights. I would use the K10D instead, as I normally do.

I used aperture-priority mode instead of manual now, because:
1. Using an old lens with M mode requires me to first focus, stop down the lens, then select the shutter speed with the control dial until it the registers roughly in the middle of the EV meter. But stopping down a lens makes the viewfinder display go dimmer; in bright daylight this contrast can make the EV meter fade into total obscurity.
2. After testing the camera with a borrowed autofocus lens, it was left on AV mode. I didn't realise until I later took a perfectly-exposed shot with an M42 lens, then noticed the mode. I didn't think of using it like this (at least not with this camera,) but AV is definitely easier now.

Settings: f/3.5, 1/25, ISO 400, Tamron SP 28-80, EOS D30.

No comments: