Saturday 10 April 2010

100: Purple Tomato Seedling

Okay, photo number 100 isn't very good, but this tomato plant is significant - in that it was the only grower of 12 planted. Admittedly it's mostly my fault about that, as I planted them all in compost that got waterlogged. At least I have learned well from my mistakes, and now I'm considerably more confident about growing seedlings indoors. It's all about technique. Keep it loose and light!
I potted this into another container with a better mix, and it's doing lovely so far. This variety reportedly produces goose-egg sized purple fruits, so I can't wait to try one of them later in the year. There are even purple patches under the leaves.

Also of significance is how this heirloom variety of plant represents my increasing desire to grow nothing but unusual food plants - that which cannot be found in shops (at least not where I live.)
Of course this year will be full of plenty of normal-type carrots and onions, etc. And I will probably never be rid of the common, standard varieties; barring a massive clear-out and giveaway from my seed box.
It's not elitism, though. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Boltardy beetroot or Nantes carrots, it's simply that if I want a common vegetable, I can go and buy one at the local greengrocer. The satisfaction of growing one's own is one thing that I understand and respect, but there's a whole world of wonderful sights, smells and tastes that I'd much rather fill the garden and the kitchen with. (Not to mention my belly.)
I'm quite sure I'll never see Oca sold anywhere near me, so that's one crop to try. Maybe next year.

Settings: f/3.5, 1/100, ISO 100, P-FA 50mm.

No comments: