Tuesday 20 April 2010

110: Moth Pupa

I found this pupa earlier today, while sifting through some earth in the garden. I've been unable to make a positive identification yet, but I reckon it may be a Cabbage Moth. I have chosen to keep it warm in a jar indoors and see if this is correct.
It is definitely alive, as when I shifted its position on the glass, the pointed end started to squirm around! This was a little creepy at first, but I got used to it quickly.

Also today, I took the opportunity to use my macro bellows on this subject, and I am pleased with the results. I really should have broken them out sooner - as I can get very much better focus control with them, not to mention a superior, and finely variable extension range. These old BPM brand bellows have PK mounts (interchangeable,) so I can also use my FA 50 1.4 for macro at last. I may even try others, such as the DA 18-55 AL.

Today's photo is another right-first time shot, and straight from the camera, too. I took some other photos of the whole pupa, but those didn't look as good as this half view. At least I have the whole views for future reference.

Settings: f/11, 1/2, ISO 100, P-FA 50mm, 1/4 flash, 130mm bellows, white paper under glass, tripod.

No comments: