Wednesday 3 February 2010

034: Pear Tree Bud

I have a habit of going on about texture and magnification, but I can't help but be fascinated by the way things look close up. The transluscent, parchment-like quality of the bud's skin is hardly visible to the naked eye (at least mine,) but close up like this you can clearly see its bronzed skin-like texture and the occasional vein. The occasional wartyness of the bark is shown up as a collection of fine, swollen splits.
Apart from this, the main reason I took this photo was to depict the shape of the twig at the emergence of a bud. The branch crooks quite far sideways at every bud and presents itself as a series of zigzagged Y-shapes.
I also just noticed that every bud grows about 120 degrees around from its neighbour, creating a fascinating triangular helix pattern along the axis of the twig. I don't know how common this is, as I'm not a botanist; but it certainly occurs on pear trees.
Aperture f/5.6, all other settings as yesterday.

No comments: