Friday 19 February 2010

050: Third Snow Bench

f/2.8, 1/200 sec, ISO 200, SMC P-FA 50mm.
There's a lot to be said for that Rule of Thirds. It may be an old and very commonly used rule, but it can really have a strong effect in a composition. I cropped this photo slightly so the shapes conform more closely than I shot it to. I find that the image is somehow more harmonious and ordered than it already looked.
Whether it needed to be or not is always a relevant question, but I mostly took this image with the rule in mind, as it has a collection of strong lines. Of course, the rule of thirds can work just as well on subjects with no immediately discernable geometric patterns, such as wooded landscapes.
It's just a rough guide, really. It doesn't have to be enforced rigidly, but just keeping simple compositional rules in mind when behind the camera is always very useful for taking better shots.

Using a 50mm lens on the 50th photo was a coincedence, I just needed something fast outdoors. I did use my FA50 1.4 instead of my usual Cosinon 50 1.8; I wanted autofocus.

No comments: