Tuesday 9 February 2010

040: Golden Embroidery

Shown here is a detail of a tightly-sewn patch of metallic embroidery on a cloth-bound address book. The cloth weave is visible in front, while larger brown glass beads can just be seen behind, heavily out of focus.
Close up like this, the brass-golden coils of embroidery remind me of caterpillars piling on top of each other on a leaf.

This one's quite a super-macro. I used at total of 82mm of extension rings with the usual 50mm M42 lens to get tons of magnification. The focus distance is so close that I had to use a rubber lens hood, so I could collapse the lower end of it against the book and still have some shade over the top.

When I look as closely as I can at the embroidery, I can only just make out the fine details. This photograph may not be a very good example of the difference, but it really shows the details up more clearly, albeit often with a more selective depth of field. I suppose this is what fascinates most people who like to shoot tiny details of things; being able to see the details that are not resolved by the naked eye in everyday situations.

No comments: