Thursday 11 February 2010

041: Cosmic 35

Oops. I didn't upload this one on its designated day, (i.e. yesterday.) I got a bit careless, it seems. First of a series of slip-ups this year, I am guessing. Even if I don't miss any other days for most of the year, I'm sure that Christmas will give me some trouble. But that's a future problem to be sorted out.
Honestly though, it was taken yesterday - the EXIF data proves it.

Pictured is a detail of the top film counter dial on a little Cosmic 35 (Smena 8) camera, mostly showing the film speed conversion chart. That metal knob is nearly 2mm wide. I presume Gost is an old Russian film speed standard.

I used the same greatly-extended macro setup as used in the last photo. The depth of field at f/1.8 is virtually paper-thin; and even at f/5.6, used here, it is clearly still unforgiving. Usual 1/180 sec. ISO 100 was used.
I presumed the flash white balance preset would work OK, (as it usually does,) But I found that the camera's JPEG looked too blue. Granted, the grey plastic on the camera body has an ever-so-slightly blue tint, but this seemed too much. I adjusted the colour temperature to what I think is more realistic.

No comments: