Friday 26 February 2010

057: Tubers of Destiny

How about that for an excellent post title? I've been thinking about growing delicious Jerusalem Artichokes in the garden for a year now, but I missed the opportunity last year. These tubers have a rich, earthy smell, which reminds me that I should plant them out as soon as possible. Their skin has a layered look that reminds me of eddoes, but I know they're definitely nothing like them.
I would rather refer to them as girasoles. As the Italian name suggests, they are followers of the sun; related to sunflowers, they sport similar but smaller flowers.

Settings were f/5.6, 1.180 sec, ISO 100, 50mm M42, 11mm extension, low flash, foil & white reflectors. The tubers were arranged tightly, interlocking with each other as much as possible to avoid showing any background underneath.
Not a great photo, but I wanted to take a picture as a landmark of sorts in my gardening year; something important I'm starting off which will hopefully be well worth it come early winter.

No comments: