Saturday 9 January 2010

009: Mystery Potatoes

Potatoes, for me, are appealing not only on the plate but also in the eggbox - where they wait to be planted in March. Rescued from a paper bag in the cupboard, these were sporting thin and straggly shoots. Removed of these, they sit patiently on a windowsill while the sunlight assists them in growing some thicker and greener shoots instead.
I wish I knew what variety these were, simply for want of knowing. For another year these will be my "Mystery Potatoes."

I took the photo with a bounce flash at f/5.6 - very close up. The Pentax DA 18-55 AL is good for having a very close minimum focus, but it can display a curious grainy foggyness in out-of-focus areas. It's definitely different to other lenses I have used. This can work as a nice effect sometimes, but in high-key shots such as this one you can see the contrast falling off quickly with the blur.
...But I might be wrong about this, as I've known bounce flash to interfere with contrast at times.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: