Tuesday 5 January 2010

005: A Magical World

The predictions came true.
Through the kitchen door I glimpsed a fantastic sight, all dim white and still. What was this alternate realm? I had little idea, but ventured forth boldly nonetheless.
Wearing my warm coat, gloves and hat, I felt the yielding soft crunch of the white ground underfoot. For a moment I was afraid that my feet would keep sinking until I was buried, but the ground was reassuringly solid underneath. The air was silent. Was this a dead world?
I was armed only with my trusty camera, my mismatched [but useful] flash and a cheap tripod to stand it all on. I quickly set it up in what I considered to be a good spot.
As the snowflakes continued to fall around me I tried a simple quick flash exposure on maximum power - not much to be seen save the foreground. Then I tried a long exposure of ten seconds with a burst of flash light, and behold! The image you see before you tonight is the result of a combined effort of a quick flash and a languid smothering of reflected sodium light.
Satisfied that I had accomplished what I ventured out for, I hurriedly collapsed my tripod and returned back to the welcome warmth of the house. Who could know what tomorrow would bring?

No comments: