Friday 29 January 2010

029: Butternut Squash

This is the kind of squash you don't get in the shops: One with a proper stem attached. I particularly like the stems on the remaining ones I grew last year - chopped off with a few inches to hang them by or hold on to. There are also the characterful, unexpected warts that supermarkets would frown on. A harmless reminder of the wholesome uniqueness of home-grown food.
I have three squashes left in the cupboard, including this one. Every squash I cut open will make me feel a measure of remorse for destroying an object of understated beauty, but I know that I will enjoy eating them much more for the effort it took me to grow them.
What is not seen of this particular fruit (squashes are berries) in this shot is its short heart-shaped form, quite unlike most butternuts. I expect it's partly that way because it didn't grow as much as it could. I blame the slightly late planting and newly-dug clay soil on this.
I haven't made up my mind if I'll grow butternuts this year, but I'll definitely be having a go at growing "Turks Turban" squashes. Also perhaps another unusual variety if I have the space.
The photo was taken with the same settings and setup as yesterday (see post.) I enjoy seeing the combination of warm, earthy tones with smooth and bristly textures. The way the squash feels in my hand is definitely invoked by this picture.

No comments: