Saturday 2 January 2010

002: The Ice Man

Behold, an ice man! Found standing on a frozen pot tray in the garden, how it formed is a mystery to me.
I fancy it shares an silhouette with Batman, if only it was opaque. It rained after I took this photo, so I expect it's metled now.

Ice photos are a good example of how still photography doesn't just capture a frame in time, but how it can preserve a seemingly evanescant form, albeit mummified in ones and zeros, coloured dyes or silver.

Did you know that black radishes taste just like Brussels sprouts when cooked? They're both winter brassicas...
I was very surprised by this, which I didn't notice until today. Have the frosts strengthened their flavour? Maybe it's because they're older roots, or maybe it's just because I cooked them differently. It was a curry today, before I just put them in stir-fries.
They could be an alternative to the sprout for Christmas dinner, if you can tear yourself away from tradition.

No comments: