Friday 8 January 2010

008: Sauerkraut Lantern

What better to do on a miserable and freezing cold weekday evening than take experimental flash photographs of jars from the kitchen?
A third-eaten jar of homemade sauerkraut was the champion today, with [relatively] deep tonal range and a pleasing variety of shapes and patterns. The preserved cabbage resembles glowing marmalade when lit from below.
I had to use a long exposure here because the flash underneath the jar (which is in itself mounted on another camera's hotshoe) needed to be manually fired, as I have no off-board flash cable adapter. So it was a case of open the shutter then fire the flash before the shutter closes. Works for me.
Then the exposure had to be compensated by +2 stops in editing as I still felt there was not enough visible low detail in the image, even though that blew out the highlights a bit. An Acceptable loss.
Shoot RAW, and delete bad ones later is my policy.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: