Sunday 31 January 2010

031: Frost Crystals

f/5.6, 1/40 sec. ISO 100, 50mm M42, 51mm extension.
This ice had formed on a dowel which protrudes slightly above the surface of a garden table. It was icier before I went indoors to get my camera and set up the lens, and I caught this not long before it disappeared in the morning sunlight. I could see it melting as I composed the shot, so I had to work quickly.
I have made myself a small bean bag for the very purpose of resting a camera on for difficult hand-supported shots, but this time I didn't have it with me so my wooly hat had to suffice. It was only just chunky enough when folded a couple of times and the camera needed more than a little hand support so I turned on shake reduction. I presume it did some good at 1/40 sec. as the image is just about acceptably sharp. I could have done with a tripod and a bit less direct sunlight. Turning up to ISO 200 wouldn't have hurt, either.

No comments: